||Credit Hours Required
|Associate of Applied Science
||Speech Communication Arts- Mass Media & Public Relations
The Speech Communication Arts Program prepares students either to transfer to a four‑year institution or to assume entry‑level positions in Mass Media Communication and related fields. Students complete General Education requirements. They will also select courses from thirteen Career Preparation and Related Courses to prepare them for entry level positions in Radio, Television, Media Advertising and Sales, or Public Relations. Students will prepare a portfolio of course work.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
1. Monitor and model formal and informal use of voice for a variety of audiences in multiple contexts.
2. Communicate competently in production teams.
3. Monitor and model professional communication using public relations for groups and organizations.
4. Construct effective programs for a variety of mass media contexts.
5. Communicate ethically, responsibly, and effectively as local, national, and international participants and leaders.
Requirements & Specific Information:
SPCH 2850 - Speech Communication Capstone Course is taken during the last semester of the program. The course will assist the student in preparing the professional portfolio and will give the student information and assistance in developing a resume/interview. In addition, the course will give students assistance as they prepare to transfer. At the last session, the instructor will invite potential local employers.
Students intending to transfer and complete a bachelor’s degree need to make early decisions concerning an academic major and a transfer destination. Statistics show that students who make these decisions early are more likely to persist to graduation than their undecided counterparts. Students planning to transfer credits earned at Macomb are strongly urged to see a counselor or academic advisor as early as possible in their college careers.
ProgramsAssociate of Applied Science