Sep 29, 2022
MACA 2220 - Commercial Photography
Credit Hours: 4.00
Prerequisites: MACA 1010 and MACA 1510
(formerly MACA 2210)
This class is primarily a commercial studio photography class concentrating on producing photographs in a photo studio for a commercial or advertising purpose, but it will also involve photographing inanimate objects for a commercial purpose such as architecture, homes, and interiors. Still life, solid, transparent, translucent, and tabletop objects will be examined. Also, large objects in studio and outdoors will be photographed. Architectural, interior, and landscape photographs will also be examined. Students must have their own digital SLR (DSLR) or digital mirrorless camera with removeable lenses and manual exposure controls. Students must also have a wide-angle zoom or wide-angle prime for their camera and a tripod.
Billable Contact Hours: 6
Search for Sections
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to identify the basic operational features of a photographic studio.
- Demonstrate and measure the power output of a light source.
- Explain and demonstrate requirements for color balance lighting.
- Demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of different types of studio lighting.
- Explain and demonstrate the safety concerns using hot lights.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will develop skills needed to use studio lighting equipment.
- Produce images demonstrating the correct use of lighting for creating advertisements.
- Produce images demonstrating the correct use of lighting for tabletop setups.
- Produce images demonstrating the correct use of lighting for large objects.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to use light modifiers.
- Demonstrate the use of soft boxes.
- Demonstrate the use of reflective umbrellas.
- Demonstrate the use of mix lighting situations.
Outcome 4: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to photograph inanimate objects.
- Produce images of inanimate objects in studio light conditions.
- Produce images of inanimate objects in natural light conditions.
- Compose inanimate objects in a visually appealing way.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Critical Thinking: YES
Global Literacy: YES
Information Literacy: YES
Quantitative Reasoning: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Introduction, course goals and objectives, grading and attendance policy, assignment of equipment, procedures on equipment use and care; material and supply list
- Lecture: Studio set-up, demonstration of equipment, procedures, and rules
- Lecture: Still Life
- Lab: Metering light in the studio
- Lecture: Setting-up your scene and manipulating light
- Lab: Assignment #1 - Still Life in studio
- Lecture: Editing inanimate objects
- Lab: Edit Assignment #1 images
- Critique and grading of Assignment #1
- Lecture: Advertisements from concept to publication
- Lab: Assignment #2 - Advertisement (small solid object) in studio
- Lab: Edit Assignment #2
- Critique and grading of Assignment #2
- Lecture: Photographing glass, transparent, and translucent objects
- Lab: Assignment #3 - Advertisement (small transparent/glass object) in studio
- Lab: Edit Assignment #3
- Critique and grading of Assignment #3
- Lecture: Photographing large inanimate objects in studio
- Lab: Assignment #4 - Large object Advertisement
- Lab: Edit Assignment #4
- Critique and grading of Assignment #4
- Lecture: Commercial Landscape Photography
- Lab: Assignment #5 Commercial Landscape Composite
- Lab: Edit Assignment #5
- Critique and grading of Assignment #5
- Lecture: Commercial Interiors
- Lab: Assignment #6 - Commercial Interiors Composite
- Lab: Edit Assignment #6
- Critique and grading of Assignment #6
- Lecture: Architectural Detail
- Lab: Assignment #7 - Creative Architectural Detail Composite
- Lab: Edit Assignment #7
- Critique and grading of Assignment #7
- Lab: Assignment #8 - Open Assignment (student’s concept)
- Critique and grading of Assignment #8
- Lecture: Creating your class portfolio
- Lab: Assignment #9 - Class Portfolio
- Open studio/open lab
- Lecture: Final Exam Review
- Final exam
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)