MUSC 1351 - Jazz Lab Band-Alto Sax
Credit Hours: 1.00
A jazz ensemble of limited numbers designed for the student with previous instrumental performance experience. Arrangements performed represent various styles in the jazz idiom. May be taken 4 times for credit. A student can earn a maximum of 8 semester hours credit for any combination of MUSC 1300 and MUSC 1351 thru MUSC 1359.
Billable Contact Hours: 3
Search for Sections
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to name, define, and describe the styles and forms of traditional and modern
Objectives: Name, define, and describe the jazz:
- Form called “blues”.
- Style called “big band”.
- Style called “swing”.
- Style called “bop”.
- Styles called “cool” and “modern jazz”.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to read and perform musical elements used in jazz band arrangement.
Objectives: Read and perform passages in arrangements:
- Using diatonic scales.
- Using modes.
- Using chords from those scales and modes.
- Using rhythms and meters.
- Requiring improvisation.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Critical Thinking: YES
Global Literacy: YES
Information Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Style and Forms of Jazz.
- Big Band
- Cool and Modern Jazz
- Jazz Band Performance Elements
- Diatonic Scales
- Rhythms and Meters
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)