BUSN 1660 - Business Negotiations
Credit Hours: 3.00
This course focuses on understanding and development of the principles, strategies, and tactics of effective negotiation and professional relationship management. Emphasis is placed on the development of negotiation techniques and preparation, buyer-supplier interactions, international negotiations, and conflict resolution.
Billable Contact Hours: 3
Search for Sections
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course students will be able to explain the key elements of the negotiation process, and the distinct types of negotiation.
- Explain the basic elements of the integrative negotiation situation.
- Explore the strategy and tactics of interactive negotiation.
- Recognize the other negotiator’s real needs and objectives
- Identify the opportunity for win-win alternatives and options
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course students will be able to develop and execute effective strategies and tactics for different situations that commonly arise in interpersonal and transactional negotiations.
- Identify the components of the communication flow in the negotiation flow in a negotiation.
- Develop tools for how to improve the communication process during negotiations.
- Explore the ways that communication can be improved in the negotiations process.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course students will be able to identify the different approaches to power in negotiations and determine how power is important in the negotiation process.
- Examine the different sources or bases of power in negotiations.
- Identify the different strategic approaches for negotiators who have more power.
- Determine the different power bases in organizational hierarchies and networks.
- Understand the principles of successful influence.
Outcome 4: Upon completion of this course students will be able to understand the commonly accepted ethical standards that apply to negotiations.
- Identify the different types of ethically problematic tactics and how they are perceived.
- Discuss the factors that determine how ethics can impact the negotiations process.
- Understand how ethical tactics will be received by the individuals involved in the negotiations process.
- Identify deceptive tactics that are utilized in negotiations.
Outcome 5: Upon completion of this course students will be able to understand the aspects of international and cross-cultural negotiations.
- Develop negotiation strategies that can be adapted to various cultures.
- Understand how international and cross-cultural negotiations are different from domestic negotiations.
- Consider how cultural differences affects the negotiation process
- Identify the strategies and tactics that can be utilized in cross-cultural negotiations.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Critical Thinking: YES
Global Literacy: YES
Information Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Nature of Negotiations
- Strategy and Tactics of Interactive Negotiation
- Perception, Cognition, and Emotion
- Power in Negotiations
- Ethics in Negotiations
- Relationships in Negotiations
- International and Cross-Cultural Negotiations
- Managing Negotiation Impasses
- Managing Difficult Negotiations
- Third-Party Approaches to Managing Difficult Negotiations
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)