Sep 28, 2022
ATWD 1160 - Advanced Welding & Welder Certification (SMAW)
Credit Hours: 3.00
Prerequisites: ATWD 1130
The student shall write welding procedures, fabricate sample weldments in the vertical and overhead positions in the SMAW process. The testing of the welds shall be in accordance with A.W.S. procedures and welding codes. The student will receive welder certification upon completion of the welding tests within the requirements of the welding codes. May be taken twice for credit.
Billable Contact Hours: 4
Search for Sections
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to be certified to AWS standards.
- Write and use a welding procedure to complete test welds approved by the teacher.
- Weld and pass V-groove test welds approved by the teacher according to A.W.S. Welding Codes.
- Certification of the welder will follow the passing of the test welds, which includes an ID certification card with photo and certification forms for the students.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Quantitative Reasoning: YES
Scientific Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Welding procedures
- Welding practice, vertical bends
- Welding procedure completed
- Welding practice, vertical fillets
- Welding practice, vertical melt through
- Welding practice, overhead bends
- Welding practice, overhead fillets
- Welding practice, overhead melt through
- Weld certification testing-vertical and overhead
- Last day for lab tests
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)