ATWD 1140 - Gas Metal Arc Welding (MIG)
Credit Hours: 2.00
The student shall write procedures, fabricate sample welds using the GMAW process of the basic joints in the flat position. These welds are to be made in various thicknesses of steel and aluminum. The testing of these welds should be in accordance with A.W.S. procedures.
Billable Contact Hours: 2
Search for Sections
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate the set-up and safe operation of GMAW welding equipment.
- Demonstrate safe set-up.
- Demonstrate related tools.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to select the proper filler metals.
- Select the proper filler metals when welding flat.
- Select the proper filler metals when welding vertical.
- Select the proper filler metals when welding overhead.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate metal cutting equipment.
- Demonstrate cutting metal with oxy/fuel.
- Demonstrate cutting metal with mechanical equipment.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Quantitative Reasoning: YES
Scientific Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Orientation, introduction
- Set up and safely operate equipment
- Introduction to lab
- Edge joint - grove weld
- Lap joint - fillet weld
- Tee joint - fillet weld
- Tee joint - fillet weld (multi-pass)
- Tackers test as per instructions
- Square edge joint - groove weld
- 60o-Vee groove as per A.W.S. (exit exam) not in text - flame cutting
- ATWD-1140 written exam, last day for lab test
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)