ATWD 1110 - Fundamentals of Gas & Arc Welding
Credit Hours: 2.00
The student shall know how to set up and operate gas welding and shielded metal arc welding equipment and safely function in a welding shop. The student shall weld various joints using gas welding and arc welding processes in the flat position.
Billable Contact Hours: 2
Search for Sections
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate safe operation in a welding shop.
- Demonstrate safe operation of gas welding.
- Demonstrate safe operation of arc welding.
- Demonstrate safe operation of related tools.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to select the proper filler metal to weld materials.
- Select filler material for gas welding.
- Select electrodes for arc welding.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to use gas-welding equipment to braze materials.
- Demonstrate selection of flux.
- Demonstrate the selection of brazing material.
Outcome 4: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to demonstrate cutting steel with oxy/fuel cutting equipment.
- Demonstrate cutting a straight line.
- Demonstrate cutting a bevel.
- Demonstrate piercing a hole.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Quantitative Reasoning: YES
Scientific Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- How to set up and safely operate gas welding equipment. Film and filmstrip
- Lab startup. Beading
- Edge and corner joints
- Welding joint. LAP
- Welding joint, TEE horizontal position
- Welding joint open-butt
- Brazing, soldering - cutting
- Gas welding practical test
- Arc welding safety filmstrips - equipment operation
- Lab start up arc welding beads - E6010
- Welding edge and corner joint - E6012
- Welding joint - LAP E6013
- Welding joint - TEE E7018 and 7024
- Welding joint open-butt E7018
- Arc welding practical exam
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)