Dec 05, 2022
ATAP 2340 - EDM WIRE-G & M Programming & Machining
Credit Hours: 2.00
This course teaches the general concepts of Wire Electrical Discharge Machining, a method involving electrical discharges between a wire and a conductive workpiece to remove material in a non-conventional manner. Through lecture and lab assignments, the student will learn multiple EDM skills, beginning with an overview of Wire EDM technology, followed by wire selection, spark gap theory, and the principles of rough cuts and skim passes. Terminology used in the field of Wire EDM will be emphasized, accompanied by demonstrations, student programming, and EDM setup and operation.
Billable Contact Hours: 2
Search for Sections
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to identify areas to wire EDM.
- Follow CAD contours.
- Wire through hole locations.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to program Wire EDM machines.
- Define proper grade of wire.
- Define power settings.
- Determine proper spark gap size.
- Design for Speed, wear, or finish requirements.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to setup and operate Wire EDM machines.
- Setup workpiece.
- Define X0 Y0 Z0
- Execute live programs.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Critical Thinking: YES
Global Literacy: YES
Information Literacy: YES
Quantitative Reasoning: YES
Scientific Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Wire EDM Overview
- Wire EDM
- Spark Gap Theory
- Wire EDM Setup and Operation
- Wire EDM Startup and Grid Procedures
- Threading the wire into a Wire EDM
- Setting work zero
- Wire EDM Operation
- Wire EDM Start up and Grid Procedures
- Program Run Procedures
- Basic Wire EDM Set-Up Procedures
- Manual Programming and CAM
- G & M code programming
- CAM programming
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)