MECT 1320 - Industrial Hydraulic Fundamentals
Credit Hours: 3.00
This course teaches the fundamentals of hydraulic systems including components, graphic symbols and basic circuit configurations. Students will perform calculations for actuator area in square inches, extension and retraction forces in pounds, pressures in pounds per square inch, and speeds in inches per minute. Students will draw and simulate hydraulic circuits using Automation Studio then connect the real circuit on a functional hydraulic trainer.
Billable Contact Hours: 4
Search for Sections
Michigan Transfer Network (MiTransfer) - Utilize this website to easily search how your credits transfer to colleges and universities.
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to explain the fundamental principles of hydraulics and determine the operating characteristics of a hydraulic system based on parameters given.
- Calculate the areas, volumes, force, velocity and pressures associated with hydraulic cylinders.
- Calculate the input and output horsepower and heat generated for a hydraulic system.
- Explain Pascal’s law, Bernoulli’s principle and the principles of atmospheric and head pressure.
- Explain the operation of pumps, directional controls, pressure controls and flow controls.
- Describe the different properties of hydraulic fluids and create a contamination control program.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to select the correct sizes of the plumbing components in a complete hydraulic system based on pressures and flow rates given.
- Calculate the size of the inlet line for a pump.
- Calculate the sizes of the pressure lines before and after a directional valve.
- Calculate the correct return line size for a single rod cylinder circuit.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to determine the operating characteristics of a hydraulic system based on parameters given.
- Calculate cap end, rod end and rod areas as well as area ratio for a cylinder.
- Calculate the maximum force of a cylinder or torque of a motor.
- Calculate the extension or retraction velocity of a cylinder or motor.
- Calculate the input and output horsepower for a hydraulic system.
Outcome 4: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to recognize the graphic symbols used to create a Hydraulic circuit and to draw these using circuit drawing/simulation software and then build the circuit on a hydraulic trainer.
- Identify the symbols for hydraulic components from either ANSI or ISO drawings.
- Draw a complete schematic based on given parameters using drawing software.
- Add the given parameters to the drawn components and simulate circuit operation.
- Connect the complete circuit on a hydraulic trainer and verify proper operation.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
- Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
- Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
- Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
- Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
- Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
- Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
Information Literacy: YES
Quantitative Reasoning: YES
Scientific Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Properties of Compressed Air - The Basic Pneumatic System
- Compressed Air Theory - Gas Laws, Boyle’s, Charles, Guy Lussac, Bernoulli
- Graphic Symbology for Pneumatics
- Air Compression and Distribution
- Air Treatment
- ActuatorsSpeed Control
- Directional Valves
- Basic Circuits
- Time Functions
- Sequence Control
Primary Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)