ITWP 1000 - Introduction to Web Programming
Credit Hours: 3.00
Billable Contact Hours: 3
Search for Sections
Michigan Transfer Network (MiTransfer) - Utilize this website to easily search how your credits transfer to colleges and universities.
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to describe Internet standards, the client/server model, commonly used Internet protocols, URLs, domain names, markup languages and basic web terminology.
- Given an examination, students utilize terms, research and concepts to demonstrate their understanding of basic web terminology and functions.
- Given a case scenario, students debug, correct and validate basic HTML source code utilizing an online validation tool that adheres to current Internet standards.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will develop a single web page with multiple hyperlinks using HTML and publish (FTP) the result to a web server.
- Given a text/HTML editor, students develop a single web page containing multiple hyperlinks using valid HTML syntax.
- Given a text/HTML editor and web browser, students analyze and correct broken page hyperlinks to further enhance problem-solving skills.
- Given a FTP (file transfer protocol) application, students configure application settings and upload local file(s) to an assigned directory located on a designated remote web server.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to develop a multiple page web site employing graphics, multimedia elements, form(s), various basic web page elements, CSS (cascading style sheets) and user input.
- Given a text/HTML editor, students develop a multiple page web site using valid HTML syntax, employing lists, tables, graphics, multimedia elements, forms, and user input.
- Given a text/HTML editor, students evaluate and implement appropriate add-in functionality including: voting scripts, chat rooms and social media options.
- Given a text/HTML editor, students create and implement a consistent web page layout using basic CSS (cascading style sheets) techniques.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
- Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
- Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
- Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
- Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
- Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
- Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
Critical Thinking: YES
Information Literacy: YES
Scientific Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Unit 1
- Lecture: Browsers, Introduction to the Internet, Web and HTML
- Skills Practice: Creating a Web Presence
- Unit 2
- Lecture: Tags and URLs, Visual Elements and Graphics
- Skills Practice: Internal and External Page Links
- Unit 3
- Lecture: Lists, Page Style, and Image Representation
- Skills Practice: Multiple Pages, Images, Sound Files, and Media via Links
- Unit 4
- Lecture: External Cascading Style Sheets, Web Design and Multimedia
- Skills Practice: Web Page Design using CSS
- Unit 5
- Lecture: Tables
- Skills Practice:
- Tables Exercise
- Skills Demonstration: Create a four-page web site containing graphics, multiple hyperlinks and utilize the object/embed tag for implementing multimedia Web page elements
- Unit 6
- Unit 7
- Lecture: Web Forms
- Skills Practice: Create a basic HTML web form using various form elements and client-side and server-side processing
- Unit 8
- Lecture: SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
- Skills Demonstration: Term Project
Primary Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)