Mar 27, 2023
ATAP 1050 - CNC Essentials
Credit Hours: 3.00
(formerly ATAP 2912)
This lecture and lab course covers shop floor and CNC essentials necessary to subsist in today’s digital manufacturing setting. Students will employ MS Windows with advanced manufacturing and CNC applications. Topics include file creation, file management, spreadsheets for setup and tooling sheets, operation of all CNC Mil and Lathe controls in the lab, and shop floor inspection. This course prepares students for all ATAP coursework.
Billable Contact Hours: 4
Search for Sections
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to perform basic computer functions using PC Windows.
- Turn on a PC and navigate Windows.
- Perform basic file management functions, such as create, rename, and move filenames and folders, move and copy files from drive to drive, including use of external drives, such as memory sticks.
- Email files to the instructor and open emails from the instructor.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to identify the fundamentals of Computer Numeric Control.
- The student will apply CNC mills and lathe machines in industry with 80% accuracy.
- Given a part print, the student will map coordinates onto the Cartesian coordinate system with 80% accuracy.
- Given previously developed CNC programs, the student will read and interpret CNC mill and lathe programs with 80% accuracy.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to apply the proper cutting tool technology to CNC applications.
- Given a manufacturing application, the student will identify basic and advanced cutting tools used in CNC applications with 80% accuracy.
- Given a cart of CNC tool holders, the student will identify basic tool holders used in CNC mill and lathe applications.
Outcome 4: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to operate the CNC controls in the lab, including mill and lathe.
- Given a variety of CNC mills and lathes, the student will power up and power down each machine with 80% accuracy.
- Given a variety of CNC mills and lathes, the student will upload and download files to and from CNC controls with 80% accuracy.
- Given a variety of CNC mills and lathes, the student will simulate programs with 80% accuracy.
- Given a variety of CNC mills and lathes, the student will load and unload tools into the magazine pouches and turrets.
Outcome 5: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to measure parts using precision measuring equipment.
- Given an inch and metric micrometer, the student will measure with 80% accuracy.
- Given a dial caliper, the student will measure with 80% accuracy.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Critical Thinking: YES
Global Literacy: YES
Information Literacy: YES
Quantitative Reasoning: YES
Scientific Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Computer functions
- Power on and navigate PC Windows
- File management
- Upload to and from CNC control panels
- Computer Numeric Control applications
- Overview of CNC mills and lathes
- Cartesian coordinate system
- Introduction to CNC programming
- Advanced cutting tool technology
- Identification of cutting tools
- CNC mill and lathe tool holders
- CNC operation
- CNC Mill, Lathe
- Upload and download files
- Simulate programs
- Load and unload tools
- Basic measuring tools
- Inch and metric micrometers
- Dial calipers
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)