Aug 14, 2022
ARTT 1560 - New Media in Fine Art
Credit Hours: 4.00
Prerequisites: ARTT 1360
An introduction to fine art creations using digital hardware and software. Creative experimentation primarily using a digital camera and with the adobe creative cloud with concepts of digital imaging from a fine art perspective. Students will learn proper camera use, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Bridge, Camera Raw, using a scanner as a camera and proper printing.
Billable Contact Hours: 6
Search for Sections
Michigan Transfer Network (MiTransfer) - Utilize this website to easily search how your credits transfer to colleges and universities.
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will utilize a vocabulary associated with digital photography
- Communicate their ideas and understanding of different aspects of photography using media specific vocabulary
- Communicate their ideas and understanding of different aspects of digital photographic software using media specific vocabulary
- Analyze and discuss photographic works using media specific vocabulary
Outcome 2: Students will produce photographic works that display competence working with a variety of digital media.
- Produce work using images with best practices using a DSLR camera
- Produce work using images with best practices using a scanner as a camera
- Produce work using images that are provided to them via web application.
- Display capability with basic Adobe Photoshop work flow.
- Display capability with basic Camera Raw work flow.
- Display capability with basic Adobe Bridge work flow.
Outcome 3: Students will apply critical thinking in their photographic work.
- Utilize basics of digital cameras and capture/import methods.
- Utilize aspects of image editing.
- Utilize aspects of image color management.
- Implement prescribed workflows to achieve desired results.
- Identify the tool/procedure best suited for the desired result in image repair
- Identify the tool/procedure best suited for the desired result in image manipulation
- Prepare images with proper formatting for web.
- Prepare images with proper formatting for print.
- Prepare images with proper formatting for multimedia applications.
Outcome 4: Students will apply creative thinking in their photographic work.
- Produce original photographic content with consideration for framing.
- Produce original photographic content with consideration to proper exposure
- Produce original photographic content with consideration to effective image manipulation.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Critical Thinking: YES
Global Literacy: YES
Information Literacy: YES
Quantitative Reasoning: YES
Scientific Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- OS/Adobe Interface familiarity
- Camera function and Usage
- Manual Camera Usage settings: Aperture, Shutter speed, Depth of field, ISO, etc.
- Image import/Image Management
- Image repair
- Compositing, Blend modes, layer management
- Stop motion animation
- Scanner as a Camera
- Shooting a body of work
- Color management
- Prepping image for print and/or web
- Managing print settings, how to print in house and how to outsource
- Peer critical writing project
*Each section and lesson includes historical references and examination of known work
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)