CULH 2085 - The Art of Sculpted Cakes
Credit Hours: 2.00
Prerequisites: CULH 1155 and CULH 1340 all with grade C or better and a ServSafe certificate
CULH 2085 introduces students to advanced cake decorating techniques used to create edible cake sculptures. Students learn to create the proper base and support structure as well as to create different styles of sculpted cakes.
Billable Contact Hours: 3
Search for Sections
Michigan Transfer Network (MiTransfer) - Utilize this website to easily search how your credits transfer to colleges and universities.
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to maintain the Macomb County Health Department Standards.
- Identify in writing sanitation rules.
- Maintain the sanitation standards throughout the course of the semester.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to identify the procedure and create the proper structure for their creations.
- Identify the “food safe” elements needed to build structure.
- Using these elements, create a structure for a cake creation.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to design and create a cake sculpture of their choice.
- Design a cake sculpture for the final project.
- Create the proper support and structure for the final project.
- Execute the cake sculpture and be graded as a handson Project
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Critical Thinking: YES
Global Literacy: YES
Information Literacy: YES
Quantitative Reasoning: YES
Scientific Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Syllabus review
- Sanitation review
- Power point presentation on sculpted cakes
- Review and discuss cakes and icing techniques
- “How To” for cake supports
- Bake cake layers
- Start purse/bag handle and shoes
- Make icing and fondant
- Complete purse/bag and shoes
- Demonstrate rounds
- Make carved pumpkin cake
- Homework due for final project
- Create “sculpted dog” cake
- Create structure for Dinosaur or Person cake sculpture
- Execute Dinosaur or Person cake sculpture
- Bake all required layers for icing
- Make icing and fondant
- Create support structure for final project
- Create final project
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)