BCOM 2050 - Business Communications
Credit Hours: 4.00
BCOM 2050 focuses on developing both written and verbal communication skills required in business and industry. Students conduct primary and secondary research, analyze the results, compile findings, and compose a formal business report. They also develop effective verbal and nonverbal communication skills, understand team dynamics, and enhance presentation skills. Students create an employment package using current strategies as well as formulate a variety of business messages using the latest social media technologies.
Billable Contact Hours: 4
Search for Sections
Michigan Transfer Network (MiTransfer) - Utilize this website to easily search how your credits transfer to colleges and universities.
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcomes: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate presentation skills.
- Prepare effective business messages for culturally diverse audiences.
- Conduct research.
- Create an employment package and demonstrate knowledge of interview techniques.
Objectives: The primary objective of the course is to develop the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and nonverbally in the business world by written, oral, and visual methods. Specifically, the student will be able to:
- Listen “actively” to speakers using verbal and nonverbal feedback.
- Make brief individual and team oral presentations.
- Compose considerate, clear, correct, and concise business letters and documents properly organized according to anticipated reader reaction to the message.
- Read, interpret, and prepare graphic communications such as pie, bar, and line graphs.
- Individually research, compile, and prepare a graphically illustrated formal business report based on primary and secondary data including all formal parts and all documentation, thus demonstrating individual ability to consider various alternatives, make a decision, plan, organize, establish short- and long-range goals, follow through with a plan, evaluate, revise, and meet a long-range project deadline.
- Speak for a minimum of five minutes and a maximum of ten minutes about highlights of the individual business research project using an audio or visual aid appropriately and effectively.
- Prepare a clear and concise resume, an effective letter of application, a list of appropriate references, and other related employment letters; demonstrate understanding of interviewing techniques.
- Communicate awareness of differing practices and values in international and intercultural business communication.
- Demonstrate comprehension of business communication principles by 70 percent achievement on written examinations.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES (CDO)
• Communication: The graduate can communicate effectively for the intended purpose and audience.
• Critical Thinking: The graduate can make informed decisions after analyzing information or evidence related to the issue.
• Global Literacy: The graduate can analyze human behavior or experiences through cultural, social, political, or economic perspectives.
• Information Literacy: The graduate can responsibly use information gathered from a variety of formats in order to complete a task.
• Quantitative Reasoning: The graduate can apply quantitative methods or evidence to solve problems or make judgments.
• Scientific Literacy: The graduate can produce or interpret scientific information presented in a variety of formats.
CDO marked YES apply to this course:
Critical Thinking: YES
Global Literacy: YES
Information Literacy: YES
Quantitative Reasoning: YES
Scientific Literacy: YES
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Foundations of Business Communication
- Business Correspondence
- Oral Business Communications
- Business Graphics
- Business Research and Reports
- Business Employment
- International/Intercultural Communication
- Diversity in the Workplace
- Communicating in Teams, Listening, Nonverbal Communication, and Business Etiquette Skills
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)