MECT 1540 - Industrial Networks
Credit Hours: 2.00
This course introduces industrial communication systems. Concepts include network models, hardware components, configuration of devices, and network and transport protocols. Industrial technical terms and safety procedures will be taught.
Location: South Campus
Contact Hours: 3
Billable Contact Hours: 3
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to explain different types of industrial networks.
- Describe the function of Ethernet networks.
- Describe the function of Ethernet IP networks.
- Describe the function of industry specific networks.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to explain network hardware components.
- Describe the function of switches.
- Describe the function of routers.
- Identify industrial end devices.
- Describe the configuration of industrial end devices.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to explain data link layers.
- Describe data link layer.
- Describe wired LANS.
- Describe wireless LANS.
Outcome 4: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to explain the network layer.
- Describe network layer protocols.
- Describe the types of routing.
Outcome 5: Upon completion of this course the student will be able to monitor a network.
- Connect to a network.
- View a network.
- Describe the components on a network.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES
(Bulleted outcomes apply to the course)
- 1. The graduate can integrate the knowledge and technological skills necessary to be a successful learner.
- 2. The graduate can demonstrate how to think competently.
- 3. The graduate can demonstrate how to employ mathematical knowledge.
|4. The graduate can demonstrate how to communicate competently.
- 5. The graduate is sensitive to issues relating to a diverse, global society.
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Different types of industrial networks.
- Internet of Things (IOT)
- Ethernet networks.
- Ethernet IP networks.
- Hardware components
- Switches - Managed and unmanaged
- End devices - PLCs, robots, components
- Data link layers.
- Wireless LANS.
- Network layer
- Network layer protocols - IP, TCIP
- Types of routing- Unicast, multi-cast
- Manage a network.
- Monitor a network.
- Network security
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)