ARCH 1030 - Sustainable Building Design & Construction
Credit Hours: 3.00
(formerly CNST 1030)
Our built environment has an impact on the natural environment, and on our health and well-being. Students will analyze the building site, determine sustainable building systems and materials based on current USGBC LEED principles and requirements, and propose the integration of technology to create a comprehensive design and construction solutions.
Location: South Campus
When Offered: Fall semester only
Contact Hours: 3
Billable Contact Hours: 3
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to apply industry-appropriate terminology of sustainable building principles.
- Define terminology of sustainable building principles
- Use terms associated with sustainable design and construction.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to utilize the USGBC green building council LEED rating system within a new residential and commercial building.
- Identify the different LEED Certifications including Commercial and Homes.
- Recognize the levels of certification including Certified, Silver, Gold, and Platinum.
- Identify the environmental categories that can achieve points for certification.
- Describe LEED Green Associates and other professional certifications.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to recommend strategies to reduce environment concerns about the site conditions and the ecological footprint of construction operations.
- Explain different strategies that can be used to reduce the footprint of construction operations
- Analyze the impact of human settlement on the environment.
Outcome 4: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to evaluate the use of proper building materials to maintain a sustainable building.
- Identify the composition of materials used in a building.
- Indicate different material life cycle environmental impact.
- Investigate ways to salvage and utilize existing materials and equipment, structures, sites, and fixtures.
Outcome 5: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to analyze water supply and waste water systems.
- Outline ways to reduce water consumption
- Explain strategies for protecting water quality
- Describe individual and neighborhood wastewater treatment systems
Outcome 6: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to compare different mechanical and electrical systems energy efficiencies.
- Identify various energy efficient mechanical systems
- Identify various energy efficient electrical systems
- Identify various energy efficient materials within the building design
Outcome 7: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to calculate the benefits and cost of green building design and construction.
- Compare the initial cost of green design and construction with the savings over the lifetime of the building.
- Identify various costs of sustainable materials.
Outcome 8: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to generate a BIM 3D model with sustainable features.
- Create solar sun studies
- Complete an energy analysis
- Create recyclable material lists
- Select materials based on thermal properties.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES
(Bulleted outcomes apply to the course)
- 1. The graduate can integrate the knowledge and technological skills necessary to be a successful learner.
- 2. The graduate can demonstrate how to think competently.
3. The graduate can demonstrate how to employ mathematical knowledge.
- 4. The graduate can demonstrate how to communicate competently.
- 5. The graduate is sensitive to issues relating to a diverse, global society.
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Terminology of sustainable design and construction
- USGBC and LEED
- Ecological Footprint
- Building Materials
- Water Supply
- Waste Water Systems
- Mechanical and Electrical Systems
- Cost of Green Building Design and Construction
- BIM Sustainable Documentation and Analysis
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)