Dec 03, 2020
ATAP 2340 - EDM WIRE-G & M Programming & Machining
Credit Hours: 2.00
This course teaches the general concepts of Wire Electrical Discharge Machining, a method involving electrical discharges between a wire and a conductive workpiece to remove material in a non-conventional manner. Through lecture and lab assignments, the student will learn multiple EDM skills, beginning with an overview of Wire EDM technology, followed by wire selection, spark gap theory, and the principles of rough cuts and skim passes. Terminology used in the field of Wire EDM will be emphasized, accompanied by demonstrations, student programming, and EDM setup and operation.
Location: South Campus
Contact Hours: 2
Billable Contact Hours: 2
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to identify areas to wire EDM.
- Follow CAD contours.
- Wire through hole locations.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to program Wire EDM machines.
- Define proper grade of wire.
- Define power settings.
- Determine proper spark gap size.
- Design for Speed, wear, or finish requirements.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to setup and operate Wire EDM machines.
- Setup workpiece.
- Define X0 Y0 Z0
- Execute live programs.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES
(Bulleted outcomes apply to the course)
- 1. The graduate can integrate the knowledge and technological skills necessary to be a successful learner.
- The graduate can demonstrate how to think competently.
- 3. The graduate can demonstrate how to employ mathematical knowledge.
- The graduate can demonstrate how to communicate competently.
- The graduate is sensitive to issues relating to a diverse, global society.
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- Wire EDM Overview
- Wire EDM
- Spark Gap Theory
- Wire EDM Setup and Operation
- Wire EDM Startup and Grid Procedures
- Threading the wire into a Wire EDM
- Setting work zero
- Wire EDM Operation
- Wire EDM Start up and Grid Procedures
- Program Run Procedures
- Basic Wire EDM Set-Up Procedures
- Manual Programming and CAM
- G & M code programming
- CAM programming
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)