Dec 03, 2020
ATAP 2320 - CNC Lathe G & M Programming & CNC Machining
Credit Hours: 2.00
This course teaches the general concepts of CNC Lathe Programming and Machining. Through lecture and lab assignments, the student will learn offline programming, shop floor programming, and the principles of 2 axis CNC turning. Turning, facing, drilling, reaming, tapping, and threading will be emphasized, accompanied by demonstrations, student programming, and hands-on setup and machine operation.
Location: South Campus
Contact Hours: 2
Billable Contact Hours: 2
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to program and debug CNC lathe toolpath operations using Fanuc compatible G&M code programming language.
- Program rough and finish facing operations.
- Program rough and finish OD profile operations.
- Program OD threading operations.
- Utilize absolute and incremental style programming.
- Program subroutines and subprograms.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to program tool offsets.
- Define tool length offsets.
- Define cutter diameter compensation.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to verify toolpath programs prior to machining.
- Simulate programs on the machine controller.
- Simulate programs using stand-alone simulators.
Outcome 4: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to operate CNC milling machine tools.
- Upload CNC programs.
- Setup tool length and cutter diameter compensation offsets.
- Setup fixture offsets.
- Run programs.
- Edit, debug, and rerun programs
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES
(Bulleted outcomes apply to the course)
- 1. The graduate can integrate the knowledge and technological skills necessary to be a successful learner.
- The graduate can demonstrate how to think competently.
- 3. The graduate can demonstrate how to employ mathematical knowledge.
- The graduate can demonstrate how to communicate competently.
- The graduate is sensitive to issues relating to a diverse, global society.
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- CNC Lathe Control Units
- Discuss the following topics
- Memory Management
- Program Management
- Applied Operation of the following topics
- Program Saving
- Program Deletion
- Program Run
- Tool Offsetting
- Uploading Procedures
- Downloading Procedures
- CNC Lathe Programming
- The Cartesian coordinate system
- As used to relate the Machine to the Part
- As used to relate the Cutting Tool to the Part generated by the program
- Manual Programming
- M & G Code Formats using ISO Programming
- Incremental Positioning
- Absolute Positioning
- Specific Control Formats
- Cutting Tool Compensation
- Advance Techniques
- Datum offsets
- Incremental repeat programming
- CNC Lathe Operation
- Lathe Start up and Grid Procedures
- Program Run Procedures
- Basic Lathe Set-Up Procedures
- Tool Changing Procedures
- Setting Tool Length Offsets
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)