ATAP 2030 - 2D MasterCAM-Mill Programming & Machining
Credit Hours: 2.00
This course teaches the general concepts of MasterCAM for milling. Through lecture and lab assignments, the student will learn basic two-dimensional toolpath skills. Beginning with 2D wireframe construction, students will learn the interface and how to design basic models. These models are then used to create drawings and 2D CNC mill toolpaths using the CAM module. Terminology used in the field of CAD/CAM will be emphasized.
Location: South Campus
Contact Hours: 2
Billable Contact Hours: 2
OUTCOMES AND OBJECTIVES
Outcome 1: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to navigate through the MasterCAM user interface.
- Zoom, pan, rotate, and shade.
- Manipulate the pulldown menus and icons.
- Organize CAD entities by layers.
- Import and export various file types.
Outcome 2: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to create two dimensional toolpath operations.
- Define drilling operations.
- Define profiling operations.
- Define pocketing operations.
Outcome 3: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to edit toolpath operations.
- Modify cutting parameters.
- Modify geometric chains.
- Modify tool conditions.
Outcome 4: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to post-process toolpath operations to CNC machines.
- Setup post-processing conditions.
- Check post processed file for accuracy.
Outcome 5: Upon completion of this course, students will be able to simulate toolpath operations for final verification.
- Backplot toolpath operations.
- Compare toolpath operations to CAD model.
COMMON DEGREE OUTCOMES
(Bulleted outcomes apply to the course)
- 1. The graduate can integrate the knowledge and technological skills necessary to be a successful learner.
- The graduate can demonstrate how to think competently.
- 3. The graduate can demonstrate how to employ mathematical knowledge.
- The graduate can demonstrate how to communicate competently.
- The graduate is sensitive to issues relating to a diverse, global society.
COURSE CONTENT OUTLINE
- CAD Interface and Basic Layout
- Visualization, Zoom, Pan, and Rotate shaded models
- Design Concepts
- Basic Drawing layout using the Drafting Module
- CAM Interface and Basic Layout
- Basic CNC 2D Toolpath Creation, including profile, drill, and pocket
- Toolpath Simulation and Verification
- Toolpath Post Processing
- CNC Machining in the lab
Official Course Syllabus - Macomb Community College, 14500 E 12 Mile Road, Warren, MI 48088
Add to Favorites (opens a new window)